The Elefest Festival in and around Elephant & Castle runs from Thursday 2nd to Sunday 5th October. Highlights include the return of The StockMKT night streetfood market on Saturday 4th, and screenings of classic sci fi films, and art events within warehouses on the brink of demolition.
"Elefest, the Elephant & Castle Festival returns for its 12th year with bigger, bolder and more eclectic programme than ever. It celebrates its many and diverse communities and shines a light on the cultural legacy of the area with its fascinating past and often-maligned present.
The birthplace of Charlie Chaplin, and in its 1900s heyday a home to over 40 cinemas, this little understood pocket of the capital is once again at the centre of attention as one of London’s largest regeneration projects and a growing hub of creativity.
The festival highlights include:
- The StockMKT (4th October) returns with their legendary night market to Hotel Elephant. As well as mouth-watering global Street Food they come with live music, Brazilian The Fontanas. Electric Pedals will be bringing their bike-powered cinema, and for the environmentalists, there is We Need to Talk About Fracking campaign tour. The evening culminates with late-night Silent Disco!
- Within converted warehouses on the brink of demolition, Hotel Elephant hosts a South London born artist Harry Pye, who will be curating the works of 17 local artists for his Jolie Laide exhibiton.
- the opening gig by London’s best new talent: a new wave indie guitar band Escapists; art-pop Bowiesque Movie; Lois and The Love, with their blend of rock and ska led by irrepressible Lois Winstone.
- Screenings of new and classic Sci-Fi films with live soundtracks, Charlie Chaplin themed events, children's slapstick comedy and workshops, and South London Film Crawl. They are all taking place in and around the Cinema Museum, and are supported by the BFI and Film London.
- Latin phenomenon Wara with Movimentos DJs whose high-energy fusion of traditional Latin and Cuban styles has already packed out the Jazz Café and earned them a four star album review from the Guardian"
When - Thursday 2nd - Sunday 5th October
Where - Various locations around Elephant and Castle, SE1
Tickets - Many events are free; some vary from £5 - £10. there is the Elefest Pass available here
Link 1 - Elefest
Link 2 - Food at Elefest
Get more events like this
I have created a weekly newsletter to feature news about all of the latest and best pop-up and temporary things in London. Please sign up below!